Stewarton and Wishawton
- STEWARTON and WISHAWTON, a village, in the parish of Cambusnethan, Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 3½ miles (E. by S.) from Hamilton; containing 2149 inhabitants. These places adjoin each other, and form a considerable village, situated in the western part of the parish, on the high road from Carluke to Hamilton, on both sides of which the houses are, for the most part, built. The population is principally engaged in manufactures and in the collieries of the neighbourhood; and a large distillery has lately been erected at the west end of the village by Lord Belhaven, with extensive sheds for feeding cattle, and other buildings, the whole of the best masonry, and in complete uniformity, and presenting a handsome range. On the estate of Wishaw a tile-work, also, is in operation: and the vicinity is altogether important as a mineral district. The Wishaw and Coltness railway, for which an act was obtained in 1829, extends from the termination, in the parish of Old Monkland, of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, southward to the estates of Wishaw, Coltness, and Allanton, all in this parish. The original capital of £60,000 was subsequently increased to £120,000; and by an act passed in May 1841, the company are empowered to extend it to £240,000. Wishaw House, the seat of Lord Belhaven, stands on the river Calder, about a mile from the village, and is a fine mansion, recently beautified and enlarged; it is in the castellated style, and the outline is much varied by the different heights and projections of the towers and embattled walls. The apartments are suitable to the extent of the building; and several of them, remarkable for their elegance, contain numerous family and other portraits. Around the house are extensive orchard-grounds and gardens. A school in the village is well attended.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wishawton — WISHAWTON, county of Lanark. See Stewarton and Wishawton … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Cambusnethan — CAMBUSNETHAN, a parish, in the Middle ward of the county of Lanark; including the villages of Bonkle, Stane, and Stewarton and Wishawton; the whole containing 5796 inhabitants, of whom 485 are in the village of Cambusnethan Kirk, 4½ miles (N.… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland